Monday, November 25, 2013

Staring the Holidays Down

Holidays can be the hardest time for a dieter. If you have ever been on a diet, whatever it was and you  were trying to stick to it during the holidays it was probably very hard.  I mean REALLY hard.  All of the treats, delicious food, gifts in the shape of cookies and loafs of bread.

Well I love the holidays. No really I'm sort of obsessed about them.  I am that crazy woman up at the pre-crack of dawn on Black Friday shopping.  I start my count down of the days until I can decorate my home sometime in June.  At this point I am practically counting the seconds until I can put my tree up on Friday.  There are so many wonderful memories with loved ones that center around the holidays. But I also remember all of the great food, my dad's hickory smoked turkey, snacking on egg salad before the big dinner.  And it doesn't hurt that I love to bake.  I make a mean apple pie.  Some of you might have even had some in the past and so you know it is a tasty treat.

Well my conundrum this year with my new journey is how I can stare down all of those delicious temptations and overcome my desire to dive into the stuffing, mashed potatoes and bread rolls.
So here is my plan.  I am going to face those temptations in their buttery faces and say, "I'm sorry but you are not worth the extra hour in the gym or having my trainer Kevin give me me painful lunges."

I will have the right portions of turkey, green beans, and salad. I might even have a small slice of my apple pie.  But I won't eat the entire thing and I won't feel bad when I do enjoy that slice.

Just make a plan for yourself but don't beat yourself up if find yourself indulging a little.  Just get out and move around whether it's Friday morning ;-) or even after dinner on Thursday.

So that's my plan.  Enjoy the right portion of the right foods and move afterwards.

Enjoy your journey.

1 comment:

neonbath said...

Hi! It's Jessi! I read this all in your voice. :) I'm with you on all of this. Behaving will be hard this season, but I'm going to follow your example and do my best to earn each bite!