Monday, October 21, 2013

Not Going to be Just "Comfortable" Anymore

There is a saying that we should "Eat to Live not Live to Eat".  Well I did the latter.  I lived to eat.

You will see in previous posts they are posts about food and different recipes.  I always found myself talking about food and nothing more.  There is nothing wrong with food.  What was wrong in my life was that it focused around food.  As time went on my weight continued to go up.  I stopped weighing myself because I dreaded the number I saw.  I knew that what I was eating certainly wasn't helping my waistline but I didn't feel I needed to change.  I knew I was always going to be the token "Big" girl among my friends and family.  I didn't need to change.

So I stopped being in photos, I became a great photographer so I didn't have to be in the shot.  Last year my husband and I went on a trip to Boston (one of my favorite places in this country) and there is only one photo of me while on this trip.
I didn't like how I looked in the pictures.  So here is the solution I came up with, stop being in photos.

In late July, I finally was tired of being just comfortable with how I was living my life.  If you can call what I was doing living.  Something awoke inside me and I realized I was wrong and I wasn't happy with how I was and I needed to change.  I have had my bad days and I have certainly survived those days so I most definitely going to survive this new journey.

I also knew I have to do this for myself and no one else.  I love my friends and family but I can't make this a permanent change if I base it on someone who can change.  I needed to do this for myself. I need to be the change.

So here we go....

At my heaviest (the number will be revealed later) I was very unhappy probably even depressed.  I seemed to be busting out of my clothes the ones I could fit into.  First thing first I needed to move.  I started with just walking around my building about 2/10 of a mile.  I wasn't out of breath doing it but in the beginning I could feel my heart rate raising.  I decided to cut out foods I knew I needed to cut out, later they might be reintroduced into my life but for right down I didn't need them.  I cut out carbs in the forms of bread (all kinds), pasta, and white rice.  I reintroduced into my life vegetables and fruit.  I would start my day with a home made smoothie with blueberries, strawberries, coconut water and Flax seed oil.  I will put some greek yogurt in my smoothie on those days I felt I wanted a little bit more.

As I continued to walk I was able to walk farther than the day before.  Some days I would push myself just to see what I could do and I always seemed to surprise myself.  There were days I just didn't want to put the work into it so instead of sitting back on the couch I would do some chores around the house.  Once I got moving I wanted to keep moving so I would take our dog out for a walk and the next thing I knew I was walking a mile.  The key was to not give into the lazy voice in my head encouraging me to sit down on the sofa.

Cutting back on food didn't seem like I was on the typical diet especially since I was filling up on the right foods I wasn't depriving myself.  I also didn't beat myself up when I had a treat.  I just worked really hard to recognize the work I had put in and that sometimes that treat, sweet, snack, or whatever wasn't worth sweating for another hour.

Will all of these changes since late July my life has certainly changed.  I have lost over 45 pounds and have found the my wardrobe has expanded while my waist has shrunk.

Remember this is my journey, you are on your own journey embrace it!!  I hope in some way my journey inspires you to make changes in your life.   I would love to hear if it has inspired you and how.  I will continue to document this journey as I am on it.

And remember just move.

1 comment:

Elizabeth (and Dan) said...

I am so excited to follow your journey and encourage you along the way! I know from personal experience what this is like. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what delicious healthy recipes you come up with in your creative kitchen. I can't wait to see the pictures from your first 5k race!! (hint hint!)