Thursday, October 24, 2013

Changes...

There is safety in the known.  But there is a different kind of safety in the unknown.  That safety is brought to you by who will meet you in your darkest time in the middle of the unknown.  

When I was a child my mother, brother and I would visit a beach off the coast of Massachusetts, Horseneck beach. It isn't an amazing beach by any means; it's covered in rocks and broken shells.  But Horseneck beach is a beach that brought my family safety, security and peace of mind. It is a place that we would visit when we didn't know where our next step would be or when the next bend in the road would come.  I have found myself often thinking of Horseneck Beach and how when I have visited this place whether in my thoughts or in person I am reminded of the various changes in my life that has taken place.

  When my mom a single parent had to work 3 jobs just to provide for my brother and I and spending some time on those rare days off at the beach brought her peace.  When my dad became an epic person in my life.  When I was reminded that being a part of a family meant I needed to contribute (no matter how far I had to lug the beach blanket over the sand dunes).  And when my family decided to move to the others side of the country for new opportunities.  

The place and idea of Horseneck beach has always been a part of my life and where I am constantly reminded that there is someone so much greater than myself in this world.  God has met me at every one of those changes in my life and He has challenged me to use them, embrace them and to learn from them.  I have always said I would not be the person I am today if I had not gone through the life experiences I had.  But it would be better said, that I would not be the person I am today if I hadn’t met God in those moments and learned from him the lessons he had planned.

So I am very thankful for Horseneck beach and the rocky shore it provides.  Because it is walking on it’s rocky shore that I have found God.

For my mom and brother,
"Me and You and you and me, No matter how they toss the dice, it has to be, The only one for me is you, and you for me, So happy together" 





No comments: