Monday, January 27, 2014

Stuff This...

On this cold Texas morning I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes.
I have been wanting to share a healthy recipe with you since I started my journey.  So here is one of my favorites...


Italian Turkey Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps.




Sausage Stuffing recipe: 
2 lb. of ground turkey
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
2 tbsp of Parsley 
1/2 cup Bread crumbs
1 tsp Ground Fennel seed
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 egg

Mix all of the seasoning and meat together feel free to let it sit and marry the flavors together for an hour or so.   After letting the meat rest you will lightly oil a skillet with EVOO and brown the sausage until fully cooked. I like making the sausage the night before so all you have to do is stuff the cap, heat through and serve.

Preheat the oven to 375.

Next, take the previously cooked sausage and mix it with 3/4 cup of Ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan and 2 cups of chopped baby portobello mushrooms.  

Remove the stems and scrape out the gills from the cap.  Season (salt & pepper to taste) the Portobello caps then lightly drizzle the caps with EVOO on both sides. 

Stuff the caps with the sausage mixture and roast the stuffed caps for 20 minutes.

I serve them with warmed marinara sauce and a heaping pile of salad.

This recipe will serve 4 so be prepared to share!

Enjoy the Journey!


No comments: